Old October 25th, 2003, 10:44 PM
Alfred Molon

Default Stupid european airlines require Thai visa before boarding

In article ,
says...
hi all,

I`ll be travelling from Berlin to Bangkok for 6 months and
then returning to Berlin. The travel agent here says that
Lufthansa and other local airlines require a visa covering the
length of your stay, or they won`t let you board.
The Berlin Thai embassy will only give me a 2 month visa,
so, what to do?

All this is silly, since the Thais give on-arrival one
month "entry permits", no visa required (for my country),
and I won`t be in the country more than a month before
travelling elsewhere.

Hmmm... in November 1999 I flew one-way only to Malaysia. The lady at
the check-in counter simply asked if I lived in Malaysia, to which I
replied that I would purchase a new ticket once in Malaysia. This answer
was sufficient for the counter lady (Malaysia gives you a three months
visum upon arrival).

Anyway, seems strange that the ariline would require you to get a six
months visum, since many people travel in the region for months and
simply use BKK as a gateway.
--

Alfred Molon