Old February 26th, 2008, 06:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Király[_1_]

Default the Csango country: a black hole in the guidebooks

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
I see National Geographic covered it in June 2005. The full article is
subscription-only so I'll look for a paper copy.

I read that article recently; it was quite interesting. Check your
local library for it.

The origins of the Csángó people are controversial. Not all of them
speak Hungarian. Many speak Romanian and have Romanian names. What
unites them is their religion - all Roman Catholic, with some
traditional beliefs thrown in there as well. Some historias claim that
at least some Csángós are not Hungarians at all, but are descended from
Romanians, who were converted to Roman Catholicism by Hungarian
missionaries.

Their traditional folk music is distinct from Magyar and Romanian
folk music. Links have been made by musicologists between Csángó music
and traditional music heard today in Mongolia.

My Budapest-born wife says that no other Hungarians she has ever heard
speak like the Csángó. They apparently have a distinctive accent that
resembles medieval Hungarian.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.