Old August 23rd, 2006, 08:39 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Manfred Aigner

Default Volcano climbing in indonesia

Pete Loud wrote:
Hi Manfred,

The climb to the summit is rather tough,
because of the loose ground (two steps up, sliding 1,5 back) but
defenitely worth it! Bring a good torch!

. . . .
Climb the summit from the lake takes approx 6-8h ...

You are a better man than me ;-(

Some months of travelling through sulawesi and nusa tengara put me in a
good shape at that time - and I was younger then ;-)

I'm better at sitting around Gili Air with a beer and grilled kakap and seeing the summit of Rinjani from there ;-)

Well, I wouldn't say that I'm bad in that discipline neither ;-)
best after returning from the summit - but I can defenitely sit longer
with some beers than I can climb mountains ;-)

Incidentally I have a photo taken from the rim of the crater looking into the caldera and Segara Anak, (the lake) on my Maps of
Indonesia website at, www.peteloud.co.uk/indonesia/

I have only one photo of rinjan online
http://lombok-ecoturist.org/Pics/Rinjani.jpg
I need to look for the ones from the summit and scan them ...

selamat jalan,

Manfred