Old August 24th, 2011, 11:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Default Routing from Niagara Falls to Detroit thru Canada

"Rich":
If we "don't" use the expressways, what are are other choices ?

Dave Hatunen:
Ontario route 3 from Windsor to Niagara.

Again, you mean the other way.

it spend a lot of miles (excuse me, kilometres) along the north
shore of lake Erie.

So it do. Another choice for the eastern end of the trip is the old
highway 8 from Niagara Falls to Hamilton, which runs more or less
along the base of the Niagara Escarpment. Low-traffic, winding
road, forest around you and orchards to one side.

Unfortunately, when highway 8 was decommissioned it did not keep a
single regional road number. If you look at the provincial highway map

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tra...indexpdf.shtml

you'll see it starting at St. Catharines as regional road 81, then
changing into regional road 8 sometime before reaching Hamilton.
You might take his road as far as the Red Hill Valley Parkway at
Hamilton; if you want to switch to expressways, continue with the
route I described before, and if not, take the Lincoln Alexander
Parkway to the Upper James St. exit and go south to highway 6 south
to highway 3. See the Niagara, Hamilton, and Map 3 sections of
the provincial map.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "What Europe needs is a fresh, unused mind."