Old February 20th, 2012, 12:27 PM posted to rec.roller-coaster,rec.travel.cruises
GodsOnSafari

Default TR: Norwegian Pearl Pt. 4: A Coaster For All Seasons (1/3-1/4/2012)

On Feb 19, 11:38*am, "Wolf" wrote:
"Alan Conceicao" wrote in message

The coaster was very much still there though, and I was hopeful to get
multiple rides on it. Known as the Jamaican Bobsled (A#607/M#295), its a
Weigand Alpine Coaster set in an appreciably not alpine setting. The track
length is longer than the one I went on at Jiminy Peak in Massachusetts,
and unlike the Jiminy Peak coaster, it ends with the lift rather than
starts with it.

Now, alpine coasters have come into a controversial area in the world of
amusement park fandom with many arguing that they are not, in fact,
coasters. The Jamaican Bobsled does nothing to help this argument out for
the side against their inclusion - as far as I am aware, this is the only
facility in the world that will train the cars together in sets of two and
allow for a single "driver". That means the passenger can simply sit and
enjoy the ride without doing anything. My wife and I chose this option
after being told that the ride was faster (makes sense - more weight) in
this setup.

The general feeling in the industry is that they aren't coasters -- and for
a good reason. Because of the absence of blocking and general controls
density, they don't pass the requirements of F2291 (which governs coasters),
but do pass F1159 (which governs bumper cars).

--
|\-/|
0 0

As that is, didn't you once say that Scenic Railways don't meet ASTM
standards? Last I checked, no one was arguing whether or not they
"counted".