Old January 6th, 2004, 12:54 PM
me

Default US going metric?

Hatunen wrote in message . ..
On 5 Jan 2004 07:28:55 -0800, (me)
wrote:

That is generally my complaint about many metric units, they're
just a darn inconvienent size. The centimeter is too small, but
the meter is too large. Feet is nice for alot of what I use
those dimensions for.

What do you have against the decimeter?

Besides almost universal lack of use? It's a tad small still.
Feet is a good height for bridge clearances and the like. Yards/meters
are too big, inches way too small. I kinda find folks will tend to
pick and use 3 length dimensions. Feet, yards and miles or inches
feet and miles. They rarely use 4. Also tend to stick to certian
speed styles. fps, ips or mph but rarely mps. I think it's probably
true in metric as well. mm, cm, or meters or cm, m, and km.
The decimeter just never gets used, probably because it has a bad
overall size.

And another point not related to your post. I usually see Americans calling
the system of measurment English, as opposed to Metric. Well we mostly don't
use that system so much so it's not 'English' any more, the correct term is
Imperial.

Actually, since there is no singular system, there really is no singular
correct name. I see various references to "US Standard", which is kind of
a misnomer since there isn't much of one. I'm sure the commerce department
has rules on all these things though. I'm pretty sure though that no
one is using the imperial system. So they probably aren't referring to
what "you" used.

I avoid using Imperial as a name for the US system because of the
differences in liquid measure.

Yup. Oz, gallons, and pints are some of the most variable of names.