Old August 4th, 2006, 01:21 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Jack Campin - bogus address

Default "One bag" travel, which bag is best?

Despite what the "travel experts" may say, carry your bag for a
couple of miles or so getting out of the airport and wheels become
more attractive.

I cannot imagine a scenario in which a wheeled bag is more attractive,
unless it is so heavy that you simply cannot lift it - such as an
equipment container on 4 casters.

Wait till you are 50 yrs old Miguel.

I'm 57 and Miguel is dead right. I would never use a wheeled bag for
general travelling. (I have just acquired a very heavy accordion,
and am thinking about making a wheeled trolley for it, but no way
would I go any further than into Edinburgh with that)

I was on an Edinburgh bus a few weeks ago with a young Australian couple
who had decided to put ALL their possessions into ONE hard-shell wheeled
bag. The only bigger bags I've seen are the ones the Scouts use for
transporting twenty-person marquees; it would comfortably have held a
30-inch TV. The rule on these buses is that wheelchairs get first
priority for space, pushchairs next, luggage nowhere. And somebody in
a wheelchair got on. The man could hardly lift the bag and it took him
about three tries to get it onto the waist-high bag platform, fuming
with outrage all the time. I doubt if even a single fellow-passenger
had one iota of sympathy.

I've carried backpacks round Istanbul many times. Miguel's picture is
dead on. Broken surfaces, tramlines, jam-packed public transport,
gangways onto ferries - you'd be nuts to use anything with wheels there.
It's no coincidence that there are still porters in Istanbul who can
make a living carrying goods on their backs.