Old January 31st, 2009, 07:11 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel,rec.travel.marketplace,rec.travel.misc
NY Traveler

Default Car and driver in Bangalore, India

Grob wrote:

"NY Traveler" wrote in message
Hello all,

Just a note to say that if you need a car and driver in Bangalore, I have
a recommendation. His name is Manjunath Rao, contact # 91-98-45318418(or
within India, 098-45318418). He has an air-conditioned Toyota
Innova(Sienna), which he keeps very clean. It also has an MP3 player,
which I found very useful! He charges INR 1600(about US$34 at current
rates) for 8 hours with unlimited mileage around town. Others may charge a
bit less, but I found it more than worthwhile to pay this because
Manjunath is very knowledgeable of the city and its complicated roads and
traffic patterns, has a very good knowledge of places to go to for a
variety of things and above all is very honest and trustworthy. That's the
kind of security I would place a premium on. I would usually tip him over,
or buy some pastries for his kids(ask him to show you pictures, they are
just adorable!), or just something to say I appreciated his services. He
speaks passable English, plus Hindi and the local languages. A good family
man, with a wife and 2 beautiful kids. I have used his services before, as
have other family members, and will continue to do so when I visit
Bangalore again. He is also a preferred driver for the US military pilots
who visit during the biennial Aero India show. If you do call him, just
tell him that a friend from New York referred you.

Actually I used this same guy recently in Bangalore. I did not have a good
experience with him. He is a thief. When he takes you to a shop or
a restaurant, the owner of the said place gives him a commision.
I think you can just walk into any travel agency & find a car/driver as
good or better. And all of them know the city & it's complicated roads
& traffic patterns. And most of them aren't very honest - nor are they
trustworthy - just like this guy isn't. But who cares, you aren't marrying
him, right.

I didn't have the same experience as you claim to have had. You say he
is a thief. What did he steal? I have left my briefcase, laptop and
cameras with him whenever I didn't need them, and nothing went missing,
and nothing was damaged. As far as commissions go, I would simply say to
him what I needed to buy, and he would take me there. Didn't even come
in with me. Ditto restaurants, I would say, I feel like eating a good
dosa, and he would steer me to a good veggie place. What's the commish
on a 25¢ dosa, 1 cent? Do you think they charged everyone else 20¢ and
charged me 25¢ to cover my driver's commission? Same with any other
restaurant, he would suggest a couple based on his customers' opinions,
and then wait for me.

Read up on the experiences people are having with "all of them". Trust
me, if you are an actual visitor there, you will appreciate the value of
a driver you can trust. You don't have to hire him, but you don't have
to needlessly bash him either.