Old September 6th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Dee

"Dan Stephenson" wrote in message
I want to visit Mt Etna, the top in particular. But my guidebook says
there is a nice train called circumetna that goes almost all the way
around it. What do people think of it? It lasts 5 hours, and
apparently does not go 100% around it - I'll have to take a bus or
something to really get to my starting point.

Are the views of Mt Etna pretty good, all the way around? One thing
I'm considering is a virtual movie..., akin to
http://www.virtualbigbend.com/tour/sphinx_qt.php

... but of a much more impressive mountain: Etna. But for this to work
the mountain needs to be in view pretty much the whole time.

RSVP,

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:

Dan, I spent a few days there some months ago.
There really is no such thing as "Mount Etna" (IMHO)
I mean no single large crater into which you can gaze!!
There are many craters of all ages, shapes, histories and sizes.
Some very recent with photos etc etc.
I would not take the train.
We drove (hire car) to the few tourist 'centres'. Park car and walk to
craters.
And we took a few guided tours.

If you want a serious close encounter with a 'real' volcano take a boat
trip to Vulcano and walk up to the smouldering crater - unforgettable.
Off the ferry and walk for an hour or so. Easy to do.
Or a boat trip at night near Stromboli - I am told!! :-((
We didn't have time to stay overnight for that. But the walk to the
top of Volcano and the smell of sulphur was memorable.

Dee