Old March 10th, 2014, 10:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default heathrow-devon-scilly advice

So, basically skip Devon and head from Heathrow to Newquay (Train? Plane? Possible?), get a car, tool around the end of Cornwall, spend a night there, ditch the car, then ferry over to Scilly, spend two nights there and then ferry back and well, what's the best way back to London, So Kensington?

On Monday, March 10, 2014 1:31:43 PM UTC-7, Graham Harrison wrote:
"tim....." wrote in message

wrote in message

Hi. I am planning to land at Heathrow in early June and have five days to

kill and instead of doing the usual in London, I was thinking of taking a

train to Devon, rent a car in Devon, staying for three or so days and then

heading out to spend a night on the Isles of Scilly. Then drive back to

Devon, and train back to into London, where we are meeting friends.

Some questions:

1. Doable? Enjoyable? Looking for relaxing, quaint town, good food.

2. If not, other alternatives?

3. Suggestions for places to stay, train and rental car tips?

4. Food tips?

Thanks in advance.

It's too far to go in 5 days to be relaxing.

If you want relaxing and quaint within the time available I suggest the

Norfolk/Suffolk coasts (avoiding the larger resorts)

tim

NR

Not sure I totally agree. I think the plan needs modification. I'd get

the bus from Heathrow to Reading and then the train to Penzance. Spend

night 1 in Penzance and then go to Scilly for night 2. Come back to the

mainland early and hire the car. Not sure what the actual times are but

rather come back to Penzance I'd look at flying back to Newquay or even

Exeter

http://www.islesofscilly-travel.co.u...-isles-skybus/.

My preference would be pick the car up at Newquay and drive along the north

coast (possible stops include Port Isaac, Boscastle, Tintagel, Bude,

Hartland, Colvelly) as far as Barnstaple or Bideford (night 3). Then head

due south (past the RHS Rosemoor Garden near Torrington) to Okehampton and

(if time allowed) on to Tavistock and over Dartmoor (a slow road) to drop

the car and spend the night in Exeter on evening 4 whence train to London on

day 5. Europcar have offices at Newquay airport and offer a meet and greet

service at Exeter St Davids station.