Old August 15th, 2006, 08:36 PM posted to alt.california,rec.travel.usa-canada
Miriam Cohen

Default America travel pointers

ROD wrote:
My little sis is travelling to American in a few weeks with her mates and
they are doing it on the cheap. Mostly California. Mostly hostels. Maybe
hitchhiking (sounds a bit dodgy). Maybe backpacking. Eating cheaply. I want
to ensure she is safe and is careful. Apart from going with her, anyone
have tips for me to share. She won't listen but I can plant a seed of some
sort.
Cheers, ROD

I concur with my fellow Californians; under no circumstances should she
hitch hike! Not all people are rapists or serial killers, but
unfortunately you can't tell by looking at someone if they are one or
not, so for young women (if she's traveling without anyone in your
family she can't be just a girl, yes?) it's far better to err on the
side of caution and assume that the drivers who stop are dangerous.
Someone suggested the Greyhound buses and someone else said that there
are scary people there, too, which can be true I suppose, but I believe
that all stations (like airports) have heightened security in the wake
of 9/11 the station in San Diego does. Someone else also suggested you
do some research and that's a really good suggestion.

--
L'Chaim

Miriam

In the beginning