Old August 5th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Cathy Kearns

"D Ball" wrote in message

As for being "ready for HAL," there's the rub. Our 82-year-old friend who
was with us wasn't "ready for HAL." Doesn't that suggest HAL is out of

touch
with the tastes and interests of its clientele?

It could be you and your 82 year old friend aren't the clientele HAL is
aimed at. I am fine with HAL, and I'm 45. I am not a big partier, nor do I
like hanging in bars, but I do go to the shows. I'm up early to hit the
gym, or even better, take a run on shore (I love it when they dock early).
I like HAL because of their iteneraries and the S class suites are a
reasonable price for a cabin size I could live with. I hate crowds and
lines, and both the ships and iteneraries I've sailed keep those to a
minimum. For instance, New England cruise in July was sold out, yet there
were no crowds for anything on the ship. The ports were not crowded, as we
were the only ship docked in any of the ports. In general, is HAL having
trouble filling ships? Do they need to expand to vindaloo and raucous rock
and roll?

(Extra note, I love Indian food, and all types of exotic food, prepared by
those who really know that food. I have yet to meet a head chef for HAL
that specialized in anything other than continental. And when they stray,
other than to Indonesian food, they usually go wrong. But they are great at
continental food. And when I get off the ship for lunch I can find my local
specialties.)

I mean, what exactly is that
magic age when I'll lose my taste for vindaloo or my interest in listening
to a raucous set of rock and roll?! I like baked chicken and torch songs,
too, but geez, considering how rich our lives are today with the explosion
of cuisines and entertainment options...I just don't think a steady diet

of
"tepid" and "cautious" remains a successful hospitality plan for any

market.
But I agree with you, a 7-day cruise on one of HAL's purpose-built Carib
ships, e.g., the Zuidy, must offer a cruise experience more similar to

what
we've enjoyed on the other lines. I know many RTC friends have had a lot

of
fun on those cruises.

Take care, Becca.

Diana

"Becca" wrote in message
Welcome home, Diana, and thanks for the info on the Rotterdam. My cruise
friends tell me that I am not ready for HAL, but I hope to try them some
day. Maybe a 7-day cruise would be a little more livelier.

It is difficult for me to say which cruise line is my favorite. I would
have to say Princess, NCL, Carnival and RCI, in that order. I like
Freestyle and Personal Choice, although I know it does not suit

everybody.
I enjoy the Solarium on Royal Caribbean, although their lunch buffet is
not the best. Celebrity was my least favorite cruise line, but I hope
that changes after I try the Millennium on the MOAGC2 in February. I

hear
they have made some changes so I am looking forward to it. I will be
cruising with friends, so I am sure I will have a great time.

Becca