Old May 4th, 2007, 10:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default Scenic routes Boston-San Francisco

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 29, 11:36 am, JAlves wrote:
In article om,

7- 10 days each way

wrote:
Here's my challenge: I want to drive cross-country, Boston-San
Francisco, but I have to persuade my wife -- who thinks the nation
has
become one big strip mall, with golden arches and starbucks shops.
I'm
looking for suggestions for a northern and southern route that
would
take through the most interesting countryside.

Round trip or one way ?
I used to drive out to west coast across middle and return along bottom
in two weeks ( one each way ). The TRIP itself was the drive. but from
that I can tell you what I used to do:
East bound - take PCH to either 40 or 10 to 20 all the way to Atlanta/
Jacksonville then up the coast - take Rt 1 and others , NOT Rt 95 unless
pressed for time. LOTS of stops - even for say Barves game in Atlanta,
then Charleston/ Wash DC / Boston / Bar Harbor / Nova Scotia ( far
enough? )

This winter I drove Boston - Naples FL via 95 and then back along the
ocean the entire way ( see trip report here for specifics)

Then West-bound: Rt 90 to Rt 70
Boston - rt 90 to Niagra Falls nonstop. Sleep a few hours there ( use to
be really dumpy area but the falls were impressive) . May be nicer now -
maybe not ( local input ?? ) Then I'd head to Philadelphia - Rt 70 to
Indianapolis (Speedway) / St Louis Arch/ Anheiser Busch brewey
tour/Clydesdales/ on to KC then maybe further north - Rt 29 to 90 -
Dakota Badlands
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badlands
maybe Yellowstone -
loved Denver -
maybe train ride to Salt Lake City to see the mountains and back ( to
get your car - or maybe can put car on train ?? not sure)
http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/routeguidecazephyr.pdf

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...209 &ssid=133

from Denver to Vegas ( if you haven't been in a few years) - Yosemite
( via other nearby nat'l parks) to SF