Old May 9th, 2007, 12:46 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
-hh

Default African Photogragphy inspiration wanted!!!

"the_niner_nation" wrote:
[-hh wrote]
I think that the 'IME' part here is important: while I saw a few
vehicles that were of the minibus (w/poptop) variety, for the company
that I used, 100% of their safari vehicles had *no* windows (see page
10 of 73 of the .pdf link I previously provided). They also didn't
have doors either, but I digress.

-hh, could you please post the pdf link again?

Sure, no problem. Its at URL:
http://www.huntzinger.com/photo/2006...lbum-2006s.pdf

I also looked through my collection and grabbed a photo of one of the
jeeps that we rode in (Foxes Safari), since that's a topic in this
conversation. Its photo is he

http://www.huntzinger.com/photo/2006...jeep(4862).jpg

This was a 2 row ("4 customer"). They also had a larger one that had
3 rows in back which they typically only put 6 in, although I saw some
other companies that were stuffing in 9. One trick I found with
living with this vehicle was to pay attention to the tie-down straps
that dangle from the canvas top and whenver its convenient, tuck them
up around the bar so that they don't dangle down into your shot at the
most inconvenient time.

My budget dosn't go to an 'L' series lens, the kit I am taking with me is
the 18-55mm kit lens, the 50mm 1.8 prime lens, the 90-300mm non-usm
telephoto and maybe a 28-135mm usm with IS

I generally never took my telephoto zoom off of my main camera. I had
a WA on my backup body, but in general, probably shot at least 20:1
for Telephoto:Wide. In general, I didn't want to do lens swaps on the
road because of dust issues.

FWIW, I own the 28-135 IS and I didn't really even think about taking
it with me. In your case, I'd probably pack the 18-55 WA and the
90-300 telephoto, and expect that with the latter, to spend a lot of
time at ISO 400, and learning to work effectively with a sandbag (such
as the Kinesis) before the trip.

-hh