Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc
Neil Williams[_2_]

Default Ryanair to abolish check-in desks

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 00:51:10 +0000, Joe wrote:

Is the purpose of checking in to actually check that you are present
though?

I think so. I have been told on more than one occasion by a member of
KLM staff that my policy of always checking in online even if it seems
a bit of a waste of effort when you've got a checked bag was a
sensible idea, as those who check in online on KLM almost never get
bumped.

How will this work with things like double booking which some
airlines seem to do?

Ryanair and easyJet don't generally overbook except for when there are
serious operational issues, and even then I believe it tends to be the
person who was booked on last who gets bumped if there turns out not
to be space for them (so more like a standby than a true overbooking).

While it might up profits slightly if they did, they don't really need
to, as unlike on a traditional airline someone can't change their mind
on whether to fly or not and get a refund at the last minute. So the
seat is usually paid for whether someone is sitting in it or not, and
given Ryanair's "sod off" policy when it comes to problems, I think
too much chance of being turned away on the day would destroy any
credibility they had left.

Neil

--
Neil Williams