Old December 3rd, 2015, 08:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Happy.Hobo

Default Milan to Bucharest by train?

On 12-03-2015 11:23, Paul Aubrin wrote:
+ 24 hours!! Arrives next day.

Envo

That's 33 hours, and it's a bus, not a train.
É 33 ore, sul bus, non sul treno.

30-35 hours with several legs of train, or 33 hours in the same bus. You
would have a lot of time to see the landscape. I once traveled from
Venice to Sibiu by car, I needed two days.

True and worth considering. However, I did say I preferred train; I did
find longer (forty hours) trip with only one or two changes, and Envo
still got the "24 hours" wrong, presumably because he/she only looked at
the dates.

I decided to take Rick Steve's advice, saving costs by sleeping an night
trains and thereby freeing up days to see things in cities between trains.

Someone carried that idea a step further:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/08/22/how-one-german-millennial-chose-to-live-on-trains-rather-than-pay-rent/