Old February 19th, 2016, 11:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

Default Milan to Bucharest by train?

On 2016-02-19, Giovanni Drogo wrote:
On Thu, 18 Feb 2016, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

For an outsider it is confusing, especially when you need to catch an
onwards train. Hopefully I'll make it to Porta Garibaldi in time.

You have to catch which train from Porta Garibaldi ? Long distance have
most moved back to Centrale (at least Italo).

A Frecciarossa to Torino.

In retrospect I probably would have been better off with the Malpensa - Torino
bus even if I dislike long bus rides.

Coming in late to Malpensa, I've booked a hotel in Case Nuove right next
to the airport. It's an easy walking distance for me,

Hmm, looks a funny choice for me, I did not know that Case Nuove is
still inhabited. I thought the inhabitants got money to move elsewhere,
they were complaining about noise and pollution.

I would have thought there are hotels elsewhere, perhaps in Ferno (1
rail stop), or in Gallarate (larger town, with very frequent rail
connection to PG).

However I look at google maps and see that there are several hotels
there, perhaps they bought the place from the inhabitants.

It's fairly common to have a cluster of hotels near a major airport.

Does your hotel provide a courtesy shuttle ?
Otherwise I think you can always take a taxi

They do have a shuttle "at certain times", but again very little
information about it. Tripadvisor is full of complaints about hotel
shuttles from mine and other hotels. I decided to waste any effort on
that.

But then you'll have to go back to Malpensa or some other rail station
to continue to Milan, surely you can't get there directly from the
hotel,

(I would have moved to Milan to overnight there, there should be buses
even late after the train service is stopped ... I once took a coach
FROM Milan to MXP T2 at 4 am)

I did look at hotels in Milan at first, but once I eliminated the hotels
where the reception would be long closed before my arrival the offers
weren't very appealing. And with the lower frequencies at night, plus the
transit time, who knows how late it would be before I would reach a hotel.

In the end I got good value at the airport and can look forward to
relax at an reasonable hour.

There's a shuttlebus between the two terminals and it looks like there
are bus stops, but the airport webpage has no information on stops
outside the terminal.

http://www.muoversi.regione.lombardia.it/planner/ provides the
timetables of buses in Lombardy. It is however better to check on the
individual company sites.

I don't think a free shuttle bus running between two airport terminals
will show up in a timetable database.