Old July 28th, 2012, 04:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

Default Baltic Sea Cruise

On 7/27/2012 10:08 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:
Ships do not give you a good rate. Many don't carry lesser local
currencies, but usually those locations accept dollars. Best is to use your
credit cards for foreign purchases. Check to see if your card company
charges a foreign conversion fee first. Some places airport currency
exchanges are good, others not. Buying currency at your bank should be OK,
but some charge fees for obtaining the currency if they don't routinely
carry it. We have always been able to use dollars even in Euro countries.
The vendors don't give you a good exchange rate, but for small purchases,
who cares. Just be aware of the official exchange rate which you can check
here- http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-co...D;to=EUR;amt=1

If you buy currency from your local bank in the US you will get a poor
rate and pay fees. Your best bet is getting it from an ATM when you get
there. And use a credit card where possible but as you mentioned, watch
out for the 3% currency conversion fee that most charge. Capital One
cards do not charge the 3% fee, and there are a few others that do not.
I think that Discover also doesn't charge, and their purchase of Diners
Club should make them more accepted overseas than they have been in the
past.

Bill