Old April 1st, 2005, 05:06 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Earl Evleth wrote:

On 31/03/05 11:06, in article
1gua92f.18gbms3x7tz9gN%this_address_is_for_spam@ya hoo.com, "chancellor of
the duchy of besses o' th' barn" wrote:

Gaston wrote:

Apparently one American does not "travel" well, even locally.

So? He'll most likely be confirmed.

Take the example of another controversial appointee, Wolfowitz was an
horrific choice as head of the world bank IMO, and a lot of European
politicians initially opposed the idea.

Bolton is an Bush choice, and has to pass the Senate. Wolfowitz does
not have to jump over any American political hurdles. In fact, getting
rid of him, being kicked upstairs might be a good think with regard
to US policy otherwise. He was, after all, suggested as Secretary of State.

US conservatives are not fully at war with the World Bank as they are
with the UN. And the World Bank will not be controlled by Wolfowitz
although as President will have considerable power. But there are counter
controls on his behavior.

With Bolton, this is not the case. Nor is he broadly respected by the
US diplomatic community. I think there will be a fight. I think he will
be approved but a number of things are slowly using up Bush`s political
capital. Social Security is the big one, he is likely not to "win" that one.

Be glad you live in France, Earl - it is decidedly
depressing to see our nation becoming everything we used to
most abhor, and being helpless to do anything about it!