Old June 19th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Pat Anderson

In message , Hans-Georg
Michna writes
On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 20:21:15 +0100, Whitedog
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:41:57 +0200, Hans-Georg Michna
wrote:

Does anybody know which diseases are transmitted by African
ticks?

I have references for 2.
African tick bite fever (very common in sub equatorial Africa)
Congo fever (http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/mmi/stannard/bob.html)

Whitedog, Pat, Corné,

thanks for your replies! Always learning. For example, the web
site you cited explains that pepper ticks are actually larvae or
nymphs of the bigger tick species, not separate species. Does
anybody know more about this?

While researching this a bit, I found one very simple defense
against ticks. Just pull your socks over your trousers when
you're near high grass. A strong, poisonous insect repellant
sprayed on the socks and lower trouser legs also helps.

Pat, I was in Kenya already. Please see
www.michna.com/kenya2005/ . I may go again in September.

Hans-Georg

Hans Georg,
I`ve put your 2005 safari into my favourites.
I will send you a private email about an air incident in Kenya.
I wonder how I missed your safari this year?
Ticks: You could protect yourself by wearing bush boots!
Pat
--
Pat Anderson