Old April 8th, 2007, 11:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
John[_16_]

Default travel agents - slovakia

wrote in message
oups.com...
You have to be joking. The more you watch it the more you appreciate
it. It's so comical that even if it was a spoof (which it isn't) it's
better and better. Some of my friends almost feel same discomfort
watching it as watching Borat and seeing all those people who take it
so seriously and don't even realize that a normal person could never
ever behave that way. Same with that couple. It just makes you ask
yourself where in the world did those people do business in UK? Some
say he is a genuine fraudster....

My wife and I have been touring the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Poland for
our summer holidays for the last 14 years, so when we saw this programme
(first series) we took a special interest in it, and so last year we decided
to visit the chateau - and yes, these two people are real cardboard
cut-outs - what you see on the telly is *exactly* how they are in real life
)

To me, the word "chateau" conjours up visions of a castle-type place in it's
own vast grounds, but not here. Yes, they have made the chateau very nice
but it's next-door to the local Spar shop (in fact, it's the *only* shop as
far as we could see - not even a local pub/bar anywhere) in a village that
is in the middle of nowhere and they want to charge £100GBP per night for
it, whereas we stayed in the Hotel Magnolia in the heart of Piestany (a
beautiful town with lots of shops/bars/restaurants), with a room overlooking
the river for *far less* than half that.

It's well worth a visit to have a coffee and just to check that these people
are for real, but there's no way on earth that I would ever stay there.

Oh, and while I wish you every success with your travel agency business, I
have to ask the question - why do you think that people need travel agents
in this day and age?

My wife and I never book any hotels or accommodation in advance - just turn
up, see a hotel we like the look of and go in and ask if they have a room
available. In 14 years we've never failed to get a room yet.

Even if you do like to have things booked in advance, almost all hotels have
websites where you can see photos and book online or at least a phone
number, or there are sites such as www.hotelconnect.com to help you. I
thought travel agents were a dying breed these days.

John.