Old January 19th, 2006, 09:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Restaurant tipping in Europe?

"Earl Evleth" wrote in message

The British can comment on Britain, I seem to recall that in London
some credit card slips has a place for "tip". Am I correct?

Can't comment on London. But where I've been the new chip and pin systems
sometimes give you the option of leaving a tip before confirming the final
amount. Much to the embarrasment of my girlfriend with the waiter standing
over her asking her how much she would like to tip!

Tipping in resaurants depends on a few things. Personally I will usually
round the amount up to the nearest pound and then add a pound extra. e.g. If
the bill is £23.34 I will leave £25. But that is only if I have enjoyed the
meal and thought the service was good, in which case I will pay only the
stated amount.

However it's certainly not compulsory and I've never seen anyone leave
15-20% extra, although I've no doubt it happens.

But then the OP isn't going to the UK :-p