Old August 30th, 2007, 02:36 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Tchiowa

Default Train travel through South Thailand - how worried should I be?

On Aug 29, 10:18 pm, wrote:
My partner and I are intending to be travelling from Bangkok to Kuala
Lumpur by train in February 2008. We're going to be on a tight enough
schedule that we will not be stopping, apart from changing trains in
Butterworth, between the two; we will be passing through Hat Yai,
though - the only route as far as I know.

The FCO says that all non-critical travel to or through Southern
Thailand should be avoided, but I'm not currently very worried about
travelling (on one train) through the western and of Sangkhla. Should
I be?

No.

No place is completely safe. Hat Yai is more dangerous than some
places and less dangerous than others. You can't let fear of the
Islamic nut cases alter your life.

I've been to Hat Yai half a dozen times in the past year or so and
never felt in danger.