Old August 26th, 2008, 04:52 PM posted to rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.caribbean
PeterL

Default …and a cast of thousands

On Aug 26, 3:19*am, Icono Clast wrote:
[Please note cross-posts.]

I was watching all those incredibly disciplined dancers and
drummers in both ceremonies and wondering what will happen
ater to the very few unfortunates who stood out for missing
a step or a cue.

That just show how ignorant people are about China. They have come a
long long way in just 20 or 30 years.

The same thought gnawed at me.

I felt the best real performers, apart from the athletes,
were taken away in Police vans after being arrested in "Free
Tibet" protests.

Now that journalists have gotten out of the country, we should start
seeing reports about what really went down.

China does not have the freedom of expression enjoyed in our country.
It's totally unfair to use western standards to judge how China reacts
to protestors.

Pat in TX said:

gymnasts' ages are important … the power to weight
ratio and the skeletal structure, etc.

The average weight of the female USA gymnasts was something like 106
pounds; the Chinese team was about thirty pounds lighter! Yeah, sure,
they were all of qualifying age.

Again you are judging the Chinese using American standards. I don't
know if they are old enough or not, but you can't judge age simply by
how they look and how much they weigh. They don't have the same
nutrition as an American. Maybe if the Americans don't go to
McDonalds so much they'd weigh less.