Old August 9th, 2010, 08:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

Default Netherlands Rail Fares - Why Advance purchase??

On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 13:11:57 +1000, "CamperVanner"
wrote:

Is there any price advantage in advance purchase of train fares in the
Netherlands, or is it simply better to buy a ticket at a station and go
immediatly seeing that to most destinations trains run about every hour?
The various internet sites flogging tickets seem to suggest that advance
purchase is cheaper, and there are so many "resellers" taht it seems hard to
find the "real" Dutch rail fares amongst all the commercial ticket reseller
hype like RailEurope trying to sell tickets to tourists.

Websites like RailEurope are generally much more expensive than
buying tickets on the ground when you get there. And they never
mention the many discounts offered by by the rail lines.

I suggest going to the offial Netherlands rail site at
http://www.ns.nl/cs/Satellite/travellers

I haven't looked too deeply into the site, but it may be possible
to order your tickets and pick them up when you arrive in the
Netherlands. Still, I've never had a problem buying rail tickets
at the station on the day of departure. Major events and local
holidays could make it hard to get tickets, though.