Old May 16th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Ialibu

Default Advice re Katoomba & Spiders!

Originally posted by Kathy Garner
Hi, I've another

question. We'd like to visit Katoomba. Also, my nephew is freaked out
about Australian spiders and thinks there
will be one lurking under

each blanket. What is it with the spiders anyhow? They'd be deep in the

bush, right? He thinks we
have to be extra cautious or something.

Now he's got my mom worried and
it's getting contagious.
What's the

real story? Thanks.

Kathy in BC, Canada

From another
thread and quoted elsewhere, and this isn't letter perfect: "...of the
11 poisonous spiders worldwide, Australia has 9 of them. The 9 most
venomous live in Australia..."

And yes, from memory the Blue Mountains
relative of the Sydney Funnel Web is thought to be the most venomous.
Although fatalies are rare nowadays. For more info see:

http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/funnelweb.htm

If you
walk around with your eyes open you may see one, not likely, but just
avoid any spiders you see and you should be okay.