Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alfred Molon[_6_]

Default European Resturant Food prices (was Sicily travelogue)

In article alpine.LSU.2.00.1302221315270.32439
@cbfrvqba.ynzoengr.vans.vg, Giovanni Drogo says...

- Agrigento and other archeological sites. It might be true that some
are not well kept or unattracive (Selinunte, but I was there passing
by in the '70s), but for others (Siracusa and Agrigento) it might help
a bit of preliminary historical preparation to enjoy the visit (tyrant
Dyonisus, Archimedes, tyrant Falarides, Empedocles). They were Big
Cities of the Magna Graecia !

Actually the temple in Selinunte (the well preserved one) is quite nice.
Agrigento is also well worth visiting.

snip

- Since I do not drive, I cannot comment much on your disadventures with
the navigator.

Probably due to not up-to-date maps. But except for a few spots with
inaccurate maps, the navigation system proved to be very useful.

However, despite the fact I do not drive, I orient
myself quite well. In general when I go around (by coach) I know
pretty well where I am looking at road signs and using a map.
Despite bad driving habits of the locals and crazy arrangement of
streets in inhabited centres, possibly you were overestimating the
capabilities of a navigator.

The navigator wasn't the problem. The problem was the road network in
certain cities and areas and the way Sicilians drive.

Also it seems you were rather unlucky in non-spotting tourist traps
(which however I'd expect mainly in Taormina), of course an Italian
would smell them from afar.

These tourist traps seem to be typical of Sicily. In the other countries
where we have been even in a tourist restaurant you wouldn't get ripped
off. Maybe a little bit, but not as badly as in Sicily.

Although to be honest, we just got badly ripped off in that restaurant
in Catania on the first day. After that first time, we started checking
prices very carefully before entering a restaurant.

The other point is that local eating times are quite different from
those in Northern Italy (and surely from those you are accustomed
to). Difficult to find a snack-place at noon for lunch (more likely
around 14), or a restaurant before 20 in the evening (more likely
21).

Usually we do not eat so late (i.e. after 8-9pm). We have small kids who
need to eat early in order to go sleeping early.
--

Alfred Molon