Old December 4th, 2007, 12:41 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Shawn Hirn

Default Security alarms and clothing rant

In article ,
Tom Peel wrote:

I'm getting so tired of discovering when I get to airport security that
some item of clothing I'm wearing sets off the metal detector. It's
happened again now with some new shoes I just bought that have some
metal buried inside them somewhere. I seem to be collecting more and
more clothes that are nogo for flying. The craziest items must be a
pair of trousers made by Patagonia, presumably designed expressly for
travellers, with a hidden pocket that has- yes you guessed, a metal zip,
and the money belt with the - yes you guessed right again, a concealed
metal zip. What a wonderful invention, a concealed money belt that you
have to take off to get through security.

Is there any outlet that supplies clothing that is guaranteed not to
activate metal detectors?

T.

In colder weather, I wear a pair of Dockers or blue jeans and a long
sleeve pull over shirt with a pair of sneakers and socks. I just dump
the contents of my pockets into a pocket in my carry-on backpack and I
remove my belt before I pass through security. In warmer weather, I wear
short pants and a short sleeve shirt. Never been a problem with my
clothing triggering the security scanner.