Old October 3rd, 2008, 07:15 PM posted to aus.comms.mobile,rec.travel.australia+nz,aus.computers.linux
Frank Slootweg

Default (Telstra) Wireless Broadband USB Modem under Linux?

[aus.computers.linux added.]

Polly the Parrot wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 16:57:28 +0200 Frank Slootweg
wrote:

Has anyone any idea whether or not the Telstra Wireless Broadband USB
Modem will work on a Linux system?

I would be pleased if it did, but AFAIAA, no drivers, nor are there likely
to be any.

Of course Telstra does not supply any Linux drivers, but I wonder
whether any device *specific* - i.e. for this USB UMTS Modem - drivers
are required? Wouldn't the USB Modem handle the UMTS-specific stuff and
the USB side just look like *any* USB network connection, i.e. like for
example a WiFi USB 'stick' (that's assuming that Linux has 'built-in'
driver support for such sticks)?

I admit that I'm guessing here. On Windows there's 'built-in' - i.e.
no extra software needed - driver support for a lot of devices. I
realize that Linux is both different and less universal, but AFAIK it
has built-in driver support for quite a few common USB devices, so I'm
hoping that includes USB network 'sticks'.