Old November 21st, 2003, 11:07 PM
Jeremy Henderson

Default Storage of photos whilst travelling?

On 21/11/03 8:11 pm, in article ,
"Mxsmanic" wrote:

Jeremy writes:

Indeed, but that particular observation doesn't prove your blanket
statement that "film is higher resolution than digital", does it?

No. Some things are self-evident.

Are you resorting to religious argument now?

In order to prove your case you would have to compare different films
with digital, which you haven't done.

I'm not out to prove anything.

Luckily - because you haven't

Others can decide for themselves. They
can look at the photos I've posted if they want to see good examples of
film (albeit not at full resolution).

Quite so, but they cannot, on that basis, make any deduction except that it
is possible to make good images using film. I'm not sure anyone was doubting
that.

On the other hand, I have provided a reference to a comparison that
suggests that in many plausible situations film has lower resolution
than digital.

I expect people to decide for themselves, and not just on the basis of a
Web page. Then again, some people believe whatever a salesperson tells
them, so perhaps I'm giving the average person too much credit.

People cannot rationally "decide for themselves" without seeing evidence.

More arm-waving. When you have something to say other than "general
rules" and blanket statements unsupported by anything resembling
proof, then please post again.

What reasons do you think there are for shooting film, if not image
quality?

I can think of many. For example - I am shortly going on a trip to Nigeria.
Since I haven't been before, and I've heard a lot of horror stories about
it, I am unwilling to take my expensive digital camera, so I'll be taking
disposables. For another example - I have friends who don't like using a
computer. We have great evenings looking at slides of trips we have made
together, projected on a screen.

You see, there are many ways of looking at things other than yours. Make
your decision as you wish, but please do the rest of us the courtesy of not
assuming that our decisions are based on ignorance.

J.