Old January 18th, 2007, 06:33 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Peter Webb

Default Moving to Australia

"Nick Fisher" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi guys,

For info, family situation in 2009 will be:

(i) daughter of 21 who has left home & is working so definitely won't
be coming
(ii) son of 17 who will be taking A-Levels & probably want to attend
Uni in the UK from Sep 09 (so he might/might not come)
(iii) son of 9 who definitely will be coming !!!

So we need to end up in a pleasant family-orientated neighborhood, with
good schools and facilities.

Both Sydney and Melbourne have this by the soccer field full.

As you know Sydney, you would be aware that most SIs and vendors, and many
major IT shops, are in a triangle defined by the city, Chatswood, and North
Ryde. If you haven't got a job before you arrive, its probably best to find
somewhere with easy access to this region (ie North or North West Sydney,
both of which have excellent facilities for families and are very family
oriented). If you don't intend getting a car or two, then you may want
somewhere with access to the railway, eg on the city to Hornsby line.
(Although I would question whether you could live in Sydney with an eight
year old without a car).

As a matter of interest, I assume that we're likely to find
after-school activity clubs etc. for a child of this age ? That would
really help with the work arrangements (he currently does a couple of
afternoon's a week to fit in with my wife's job).

Almost all primary schools have a before school/after school childcare
service, and these are usually pretty cheap (they are not run for profit,
and use school facilities).

In terms of other activities, my daughter does flute lessons, jazz ballet,
choir, soccer, cricket, bible studies (yuk) and netball. With training, she
has 8 organised activities a week outside of school, and they are all
walking distance from home (not that she would actually walk anywhere). She
is 12, but it was much the same when she was 8 (except substituting art, ice
skating, swimming lessons and piano for four of the above!).

If you want comfortable middle class three bedroom with pool and a good
local sporting and recreational facilities type lifestyle, c'mon down,
Sydney can certainly give you that and more (as can Melbourne).

As you can tell, very early in the planning right now...

Cheers

Nick