Old November 6th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Alan S

Default Why do Americans not travel more internationally ?

On 6 Nov 2005 00:25:37 -0800, "markbyrn"
wrote:

Also, Australia is one of the most xenophobic countries in the world,
right behind North Korea. That might sound outlandish (especially for
Americans that still a foggy remembrance of Crocodile Dundee), but
Australia does not want anybody to visit their country. We know this
because the Australian immigration service requires everybody,
including Americans, Europeans, and even Canadians with those sweet
Maple Leaf flags to obtain visa's (prior to travel and at $20 a pop)
just for the privilege of visiting their down under Shangri-la & former
penal colony. The ONLY exception is for Kiwi's and that's because they
have a cool name and only travel deep into the outback where there's
just a handful of Australian government employees who are desperate to
see a foreigner or any human being for that matter.

Mark

Darn right too! In these post 11/9 (sorry - 9/11) and post
Bali bombing days we are much too casual about allowing just
about anybody in. We'll have to review the Kiwi situation:-)

Can't argue with any of your points. Of course, driving over
the border to a neighbouring country can make one rather
damp here even if the vehicle has a long snorkel. On
insularity and knowledge, one of my more interesting
experiences was to be complimented, by three different
people, on my good understanding of English. Twice in New
Orleans, in 1967 and 2003, and once in DC in 2003. When I
said thanks but wondered why they seemed impressed, all
three, in slightly different words, made it clear that they
thought Australia was right next to Hungary.

Cheers, Alan, Australia