Old July 10th, 2004, 04:46 AM
John W.

Default Worth staying in a classy hotel?

Tchiowa wrote:

(J Asking) wrote in message . com...
What are readers thoughts on travelling to Asia and spending big $$$
to stay in an expensive hotel? Would people prefer to stay in a
hostel given that hotels should only b eused to sleep in?

This is entirely a personal choice. If you're going to be transient,
meaning only in one place for a day or so at a time, and if you have
no need for privacy then hostels may be your choice.

If you're going to be staying somewhere for a long time and you want a
decent place to live then a hostel probably wouldn't work. What you
should look for is a hotel that is similar in living standards
(amenities, quality, etc.) to the way you live at home. If you stay
someplace for weeks at a time the "little things" will begin to grate
on you after awhile.

There are a lot of good, medium priced hotels. "Expensive" isn't
necessary.

However, if you can afford it and you are staying in one place for a
long time, then the added luxury of a good quality hotel can enhance
your experience.

If you have the money to afford a swanky hotel it is also easier sometimes, particularly if you've done a full day
of traveling, you're exhausted, and you just can't be bothere finding a room in a hostel. This happened to my wife
and me in Europe; arrived in Amsterdam at night on a holiday and there were literally no rooms at the inns, and we
absolutely had no money for the more expensive places; wound up shacking in some guy's apartment (and he was kind
enough to charge us a pittance...).

But I've found hostels and inns are often as comfortable as the better hotels. A lot of times the things you pay
for in a Hilton or Sheraton are things the average backpack traveler doesn't always need, like high speed Internet
connectivity in the rooms, room service, concierge service, etc. Pretty much all I'm looking for is a place to lay
my head and not worry about mice crawling across me (which I've experienced, and don't like).

John W.