Old January 7th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Peter Neville-Hadley

Annette wrote:

Zoos should be
avoided, but the Milu Deer Park just south of Beijing is well-run and
designed to appeal to children, for instance.

I was thinking of suggesting Beijing's zoo as well when I started reading
the thread.

As well as who? I specifically recommended avoiding zoos in China. The
circumstances in many of them are dreadful enough to make children burst
into tears.

I mentioned the Milu Deer Park because it's a rare example in China of
an animal-related entertainment which is humanely and imaginatively run.

The operation's director studied in Germany and worked in Ireland, and
has brought back Western standards of care and presentation, as well as
educational elements for children, and clever presentations on
disappearing species.

On a lighter note, in addition to the large herd of Pere David's deer,
and assorted other deer and horses, there are deer of the Bambi variety
at large for petting, and picnic tables.

Peter N-H
http://list3.xianzai.com/mailman/listinfo/oriental-list