Old September 7th, 2004, 01:33 AM
Tom J

"Joy" wrote in message
I have always wondered about the truck scales on the sides of major
highways. I would like to understand how they work.

Does a truck have to report to the scales once a trip or every time it
passes the scales? Once they find out how heavy the truck is, do they have
to pay fees based on the load? What is the reasoning?? Is it some kind of
user pay or is it a way to help moving vans measure the weight of their
load? Any explanations would be appreciated!

You've gotten some answers, but none from commercial drivers from what I see.
The scales are 2 fold. One is to check the weight by set of wheels to make
sure too much weight is not being placed on the road and bridges in the wrong
places. They also check over all weight of the rig to make sure they aren't
operating over loaded without an over load permit. (80,000 # gross in US -
same in Canada except in metric) The other reason all commercial vehicles
have to go through the scales every trip is, they are visually looking at them
as they pass through and can stop any rig that they determine has defects that
need to be repaired before they continue. At times they have a crew that is
randomly pulling a rig out of line for a full inspection of the rig, it's
driver & the paperwork, including driver's log book and the weigh bills for
the load. This is also done out on the side of the highway many times a day.

This should give you a little more insight.
Tom J