Old January 13th, 2005, 11:39 PM
RTCReferee

Ray G wrote:

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:50:33 GMT, Dillon Pyron
wrote:

As far as the
port tax goes, I don't see any flaws in it.

It could be challenged on the grounds that it discriminates against
tourists who arrive by cruise ship as compared to not being a charge
for tourists that arrive by plane. I think this is how the opposition
will battle it in court if it ever passes.

Tourists who arrive by plane spend money every night to stay in Alaska's hotels
or B&B's or whatever other lodging is available.

They also buy all their meals in Alaska.

If a port tax per person tax does not pass, then Alaska could pass a "per ship"
(based on GRT, not number of passengers) tax, and that certainly would not
discriminate on a tourist.

By the way, some of us "tourists" don't mind paying our fair share to protect
the environment we so enjoy. I would not feel discriminated against if Alaska
wants to tax cruise ships or cruise passengers.

I will still go to Alaska.