Old January 21st, 2006, 12:47 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Shimba Hills National Park

Have been to Shimba Hills quite a while ago - must have been around
1993 - and we just loved it. Went up there with my family for two or
three days (around July I'd say) and during that time we hardly spottet
any other tourists there - quite amasing and even a bit frightening at
times.

We were camping and apparently the camp site had just recently been
established when we got there - could very well be that we were the
first guests ever (for sure we were the only ones then ...). Before,
when entering the park and asking for directions to the camp site, I
could tell from the faces of the guys at the entrance that they were
kind of worried if we would manage there. As a result, right after the
first night two wardens came driving up to us in their 4x4, to
personally check if everything was okay with us. Quite caring that was!
They then invited me to join them on their ride to check a group of
elephants just a few miles away. Well, you just can't ask for more ...
;-)

Cheers