Old August 16th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Miguel Cruz

Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:
I recently came back after a more than 8 month long trip around the
world and have had an absolutely fantastic time!!!
Getting back home was like pulling the emergency brake on the train.
Quite an abrupt stop in other words. No more excitement, new
places/things/people to see every single day etc.

And nobody really understands the whole concept of travelling like
this or has much interest in hearing about it all. 2 minutes seems
plenty for most people. I guess it's hard to relate to something like
this when most people have only had 2 week vacations now and then.

So how do you other guys handle this sort of thing? How do you get
back to an everyday life, or do you?
I'm pretty free at the moment, not knowing exactly what to do with my
life, so I'm trying to get ideas. I don't feel particularly at home
anywhere, so I guess home could be anywhere.

I'd like to hear what other people having done after something like
this.

Yeah, people who haven't done it generally have very little interest. Mostly
they just want the soundbite answer to "So what's the place you've been to?"
and if it's noplace they've heard of then they probably don't even want to
hear the answer to that.

You just have to find other travelers to talk with when you're in the mood
to reminisce; there's really no shortage of them out there unless you live
in small-town USA or something. Your fellow travelers are in the same
position as you and will relish the opportunity to compare notes.

And of course there are people who are contemplating a long journey of their
own, for whom you can be a very helpful resource.

Give it a few months and if you still feel restless, maybe it's worth
thinking about some sort of career that keeps you on the move.

miguel