Old August 17th, 2004, 06:26 AM
nh1980

I know what you mean, brother. I, myself, have traveled a quite bit. I
backpacked through Europe and Asia and a bit of South America. Now that I
have a real job, it is impossible to get the time to do that again.

My take on this is people who haven't traveled much too wouldn't understand
somebody like you or me and the things and experiences (exciting and
educational) we gained. Sadly, their world is confined to maybe 100 miles
radius from where they live. Maybe they go to cancun or puerto vallarta or
something very touristic and mainstream on their two-week vacations.

Another misunderstanding that they have is they think you would need lots of
money to travel. That is totally wrong, given the way we traveled,
backpacking styles. In some places, particularly in Asia, you can live like
a king for $20 a day including food and hostel/hotel.

Sometimes as I sit in my cubical at work and look out the window, I
reminisce the great old times. The time when I went snorkeling at Phi Phi
Island in Phuket and that other time when I met some Norweigian girls in
Prague and we hung out all night.

Another time just recently I was in Bangkok. I went to this movie threater
and it wasn't your typical threater like here in the US. I paid about 14$
to get in. The threater had all plush recliner seats with massage control
setting buttons. They gave me a pillow, a blanklet and a pair of socks.
There was also a 'help' button. You push that and a waiter comes and takes
your order. They had free soda drinks. You can recline down to almost in
sleeping position and watch the movie. They also stopped the film haff-way
so you can get up and stretch. Man, it was an awesome experience.

"Hallvard Tangeraas" wrote in message
om...
I recently came back after a more than 8 month long trip around the
world and have had an absolutely fantastic time!!!
Getting back home was like pulling the emergency brake on the train.
Quite an abrupt stop in other words. No more excitement, new
places/things/people to see every single day etc.

And nobody really understands the whole concept of travelling like
this or has much interest in hearing about it all. 2 minutes seems
plenty for most people. I guess it's hard to relate to something like
this when most people have only had 2 week vacations now and then.

So how do you other guys handle this sort of thing? How do you get
back to an everyday life, or do you?
I'm pretty free at the moment, not knowing exactly what to do with my
life, so I'm trying to get ideas. I don't feel particularly at home
anywhere, so I guess home could be anywhere.

I'd like to hear what other people having done after something like
this.

Hallvard