Old August 17th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Greg Pankhurst

Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:

And nobody really understands the whole concept of travelling like
this or has much interest in hearing about it all. 2 minutes seems
plenty for most people. I guess it's hard to relate to something like
this when most people have only had 2 week vacations now and then.

*shrug*

Why are you so worried about what other people think of your trip?

Loads of people have what they believe are wonderful and interesting
experiences every day. For some people it's travel, for others it's
having kids. Or getting married. Or getting high. Or finding
god/allah/buddha, etc. It's fantastic that people have these
experiences, but IMO there's nothing more painful than someone
constantly talking at great length about how great their experience with
travel/marriage/kids/drugs/some random deity was or is, unless you
youself are particularly interested in it.

And to be perfectly blunt, it's hardly like you're the first person to
do and 8 months backpacking/RTW trip.

Sorry if this seems a little caustic: personally I love travelling, and
personally I really enjoy telling people about my travels and also
hearing their stories. But that's just me. Not everyone is into it.

Greg