Old March 22nd, 2004, 03:59 AM
Matt Mayer

Default Changing terminals - O'Hare

James Robinson wrote:
John Wise wrote:

I'm looking at a terminal change (UA in Terminal 1 to AA in
Terminal 3) and wondered if anyone had pointers/experiences to share.

Thanks.

There are a number of ways to do it.

The terminals are laid out in the shape of a horseshoe. You have to go
from one side to the other. Here are the ways:

- You can walk across the center, which really isn't that far, since
there are moving sidewalks to help out. Follow the signs to the train
for downtown (CTA), and continue past the station to the other terminal.
Obviously, if you have lots of luggage, and don't have a cart, this
wouldn't be too easy. This also gives you the excuse to visit the
aviation-themed store just inside the shopping court under the Hilton
hotel, near the CTA station. Lots of clothing with airline insignia,
models, and other trinkets.

- You can walk out the front door of the terminal, and take the shuttle
train that runs between all the terminals. This would require somewhat
less walking, but wouldn't really be that much faster than walking the
whole way.

Actually, you never go outside. Look for the stairways/elevators that
lead up the the bridges across the depatures roadway. If you have to
collect luggage, you will need to go up one level to departures to see
the stairways. The elevators go down to baggage claim, but are really
slow. They don't allow carts on the trains so you will have to leave
them behind at the station. It's a pretty quick trip once you are on
the train.

- I believe you can still walk entirely around the horseshoe without
leaving the secure area, if you want to avoid having to pass through
inspection again. Someone else will have to confirm this, as my memory
of the route between terminals one and two is a bit vague. You could
still pass between terminals two and three, the last time I did it.

I can picture the 1 - 2 connection but I can't picture 2 - 3. Not
saying it isn't there, but I'm not sure. If it is, this is probably the
fastest way.

---Matt
Chicago, IL