Old November 30th, 2005, 02:31 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

Default Neighborhood to Stay in Taipei?

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article ,
says...
What would be a good neighborhood to stay in for a first trip to
Taipei?

We like to stay in a very good hotel, then to walk around near the
hotel, and see shops and restaurants and tourist sights with the
flavor of the city.

I'm afraid such a neighbourhood does not exist in Taipei, at least I
didn't see one during my recent stay.

That is sort of what I thought, but I was hoping someone would know
something else.

Also, Taipei does not have too
many sights. A place like Seoul for instance has a lot more to offer.

And if it was not so cold in Seoul, or Shanghai, or Beijing, we would
have considered stopping over there instead.

I would stay near the Taipei 101 tower, which however is very modern.
But perhaps Jessie knows some better place.

Yes, Jessie suggested the same area. But I think the Grand Hotel may
be more our style, with old fashioned character. But not a good hotel
to walk from, I am told.

Thanks for your comments.