Old December 13th, 2008, 08:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz
Frank Slootweg

Default Report from the US, a nice but somewhat backward country.

John Kulp wrote:
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 17:09:48 +0100, Frank Slootweg
wrote:

Which is exactly why we exclude it here, keeping our taxes much lower
than yours by constantly pointing out how much of the total price it
is.

Well, your *product* (i.e. sales, VAT, whatever) taxes are not that
much lower. You are probably thinking about income tax, social
securrity, etc..

Excuse me? Our sales taxes range from zero to around 8%. In Sweden,
they are something like 25%. According to a search I did, the general
VAT in The Netherlands is 19%. Just how is that not much different
from ours?

I'm confused! When you're talking about "ours" are you talking about
the US or Canada? *I* am obviously talking about the US and specifically
about California (and a little about Nevada).

I just took the stack of receipts we have. The *very first*, a toy
car, is already 8.5%, i.e. already *above* the maximum you mention. The
*second* one, a meal, is already 12.3%! The *third*, a motel bill, is
12%. Doesn't really stimulate me to look any further, does it? And I
know for sure that in San Francisco we paid 14% on the motel bill. What
I remember was mostly around 12%, hence my comment ("not that much
lower").

So either there's some confusion somewhere, or that "constantly
pointing out how much of the total price it [the tax] is", isn't really
working, is it?