Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:58 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default safari in early august: kenia or tanzania?

In message
pervinca wrote:

Dave Patterson wrote:
Not the best of timing to be in the midst of the migration..

Huh???
i know

The animals are up in the northern Serengeti (usually)
just considering the idea of crossing into Kenya.

is it possible?

I'm surprised Dave said that.
The migration is usually in Kenya by mid-July, though there will still
be plenty of wildebeest in Tz then too. Sometimes they are in the Mara
at the end of June, though I wouldn't go to the Mara in June or early
July if the migration was my main wanna-see.
I've been in the Mara and missed the migration was the second week of
July (1995): they arrived in their thousands the next week. In '02,
they arrived while we were there in the third week. On our other two
visits to the Mara ('94 and '97), they were already in big numbers by
mid-July.

I suggest the Masai Mara, Keekorok Lodge. Not costly,
good location for the migration entering Kenya.

great

I agree, but surely in mid-July - early August?
In mid-August, I'm told the best lodge to stay in is Serena: the
wildebeest cross the river very near there from around the 14th/15th
August, though it's not an exact date!

Slainte

Liz

--
Virtual Liz: http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos