Old August 17th, 2006, 08:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge

Default Russian Orchestras/Russian Ballets

travel ?

"Karen Selwyn" a écrit dans le message de news:
FQ0Fg.10895$ok5.6152@dukeread01...
We've had Evelyn calling people idiots for not inherently recognizing the
superiority of Russian orchestras. We've had someone explaining Russian
superiority by supplying an analogy referring to musicians I've never
heard of. So far, I sincerely haven't been persuaded that Russian
musicians are superior to the best of American or British or German, etc.
musicians.

Since we've had a ballet subscription to the Kennedy Center for nearly
twenty years, I can only use my experience as a reasonably knowledgeable
audience member of ballet to extrapolate to symphony. I really don't think
Russian ballet companies are better than the best of American, Danish,
British, French, or German ballet companies.

The first time the Kirov and, then, the Bolshoi Ballet Companies were
included in our subscription, I went to the theater with great
anticipation. Now, many years later, I am more blase about these two
companies. Attending one of their performances, I can be confident I'll
see a fine full-length story ballet performance that is technically
excellent but -- to my taste -- too heavy on scenery, costumes, and
pantomime.

When the leads do their solos and variations, I can see the talent of the
dancers: Russian men tend to execute leaps requiring strength well;
Russian women execute their steps with precision; and the corps tend to be
quite uniform. But the Royal Ballet, the Paris Opera Ballet, the American
Ballet Theatre, and the Royal Danish Ballets are every bit the equals in
dancing the big story ballets. (I saw the Ballet Nacional de Cuba dance a
GISELLE that was a revelation of what that classic ballet could be.)

However, if I want to see a Balanchine ballet, I'd much rather watch the
New York City Ballet or American Ballet Theatre than either Russian
company. If I want to watch a MacMillan ballet, I'd much rather see the
Royal Ballet instead of either Russian company. The list goes on.

So what's the story with Russian orchestras?

Karen Selwyn