Old April 6th, 2004, 09:00 AM
honu

Default Frugal Hawaii vacation?

Here are some suggestions:

Limit trip to Oahu as this is the only island with decent bus transportation
and a website that tells you what bus to take to get to the main tourist
attractions. www.thebus.org

Airfare alone to another island will run you about $150 per person roundtrip
and you will need to rent a car, plus spend hours in the airport for a 25-60
minute flight.

Consider a Pleasant Hawaii package as some other poster has suggested

If you want to make your own air arrangements, look into ATA; they're
advertising some pretty good prices here in Hawaii. Pleasant Hawaii uses
ATA. Delta may still have a direct flight fromSt. Louis, and would
eliminate spending a lot of time in transit.

Look for hotel that's not close to the beach. If you can get one with a
kitchenette, you can also save on food. Pagoda Hotel comes to mind as
meeting both conditions and its also in the Entertainment Book

If you like Asian cuisine (Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, Thai) you'll have no
problem eating cheaply and well at a lot of whole in the walls. If you're
meat and potatoes, you're kind of stuck with fast foods for cheap eats.

wrote in message
My 19 yr old nephew graduates from high school this spring. He is then
off to college next fall

Me and him are very close. Im 46 and kind of like a father to him.

I want to take him to Oahu and possibly spend a day on one of the
other islands as well.

Naturally money is an issue and want to do this as cost effective as
possible. We would leave from St Louis..... or maybe even Chicago
which is 4 hrs away but we do have amtrak access to Chicago.

Soooo..... any advice, opinions, thoughts on how to get to Hawaii
frugally?

We'd like to go the second week of June.... right after he gets out of
high school at end of May.