Old April 3rd, 2004, 10:26 PM
David Horne

Default Greek Island Hopping Advice Sought

meg wrote:

Hi
I intend to spend two weeks hopping some of the greek islands but am a
bit unsure whether to just buy a flight and throw all caution to the
wind. I do have a very good book on the subject but am tempted to seek
an organised hopping package, although more expensive peace of mind
comes at a price it seems! Does anyone have any experience island
hopping who would care to advice me either way? Is it as simple to do
off your own back as the books suggest to find accomodation in peak
season?
thanks

I doubt you'd need to take an organised package. It's not that hard IMO,
but you will probably be better off if you have a good idea of the
various ferry schedules in advance, and at least a rough idea of where
you'd like to go, and how to get there. Apologies if that seems obvious!

Also, my own experience has shown that if you leave ferry bookings to
the last minute (even in shoulder season) you won't always get a place
on the service you want, or at the price you want. The best thing is if
you can be flexible- i.e. not put off by having to wait an extra day or
two. If you are flying back home from Athens, then try and aim to arrive
back in Athens at least 24 hours before your flight home, and try and
keep the last 'hop' to Athens relatively straightforward.

I also wouldn't recommend being _too_ adventurous, at least the first
time around. You will probably feel you have successfully "Island
hopped" if you get to 2 or 3 Islands in reasonable proximity of each
other. All the other Islands won't disappear, and you can visit them
again! For a first time hopping trip, I'd recommend the Cyclades, but
other people will have their own preferences.

I'm afraid I can't give you any experience about doing this in _peak_
season however. I wouldn't want to travel then (do you really have to?),
but I've friends who've done so though- and been successful. Expect the
popular Islands (Santorini, Mykonos etc.) to be extremely crowded then
(they're certainly crowded in the shoulder months)- you'll also have a
less good choice of accomodation.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net