Old April 28th, 2006, 12:08 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Default CO Reward Travel FFMs now greatly inflated

Bob Ling "Reef Fish" wrote:

Hugh, you are a Clueless Newbie in rec.travel.air.

You've resorted to namecalling; how nice. According to Bell's Law,
this means that you've run out of substantiative things to say, which
means you've admitted that you've lost the arguement.

Even if being "new" was true, correlation does not mean causation.

Irrelevant: you were spending "play money" from perks that
you can't spend any other way.

What...[snip]

Gosh, notice that Bob didn't answer the point of this statement...he
even deleted it:

"When have you ever actually spent this much of your own REAL money on
an airline ticket in this price range?"

Its just like that Mercedes that you "owned" that was actually
purchased with "company funds". You're such an insecure little poseur.

... I had the cost of the car written off in 1 year and 3 months
(for business use when I was on sabbatical leave). I was audited
by both FED and State IRS on the write-off, and it was 100% legit.
So, where did you get your pitiful LIES about my Mercedes purchase
with company funds?

It doesn't matter since in your response, you just admitted again that
it was a "business expense" which happened to trigger your audit. My
'company car' statement was affirmated.

However, if you can collect or borrow money from others to make a
WAGER to put your money where your mouth is about my mercedes
(even one penny of it) was paid by "company funds"? Name your
amount...

Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 20:48:26 -0400

(a partial header for Bob to research, instead of a convenient URL ;-)

Reminder: the world's self-proclaimed "Google Expert" can't find this
post.

Perhaps this is why Bob's been reluctant to go search through his own
old posts to see what he's already admitted in public in the past, and
reverts to bets that his history would show that he would find a way to
welch out of. The simple facts are that IRS tax-writeoffs for vehicles
can only be taken when a vehicle was used for business or charity, and
he's just again said that his audit(s) were due to his car(s) being
claimed as a business expense. Of course, Bob will claim that a IRS
refund based on a business expense doesn't technically count in any
way, shape or form as a payment from a business, even though that's
fundimentally why its been an allowed deduction in the Tax Code. As
the saying goes, "Check".

I can probably do it for $41.72 too, assuming that I wanted to burn
some of my miles to go to Hong Kong, and I was as flexible in my
schedule as a retiree.

What a lame comeback. You can't afford any trip to Hong Kong.

More namecalling (ie, yet another admission that you've lost the
debate).

The tax for your flight to Cayman Brac (what a dump) probably
exceeds that...

Attaboy Bob, you finally got one fact right!

Yes, the airline taxes for flights to the Cayman Islands do exceed
$41.72. My recollections are that they were around $90 per ticket, but
this might have gone up recently. BTW, the Caymans are a lot nicer
now that you're no longer going there ;-)

Good for you. My point was merely that what you can do with your
resources was beyond the fiscal reach of Joe Sixpack to duplicate.

But if you're not the DUMB Joe Sixpack, you would have learned how
to do it on a smaller scale.

Attaboy Bob, you finally got a *second* fact right!

Instead, you do your fallacious cost-benefit babble, robbed
YOURSELF of all the freebies for which you were entitled...

Aw****, Bob.

Sorry, but your assertion is baseless. Gosh, and you were just starting
to doing so well.

FREE tickets (Reward travel) doesn't count as "cash in"?

Not when the subject is the difficulties in buying an upgrade.

I never brought up that subject.

Congratulations on finally getting that straight. See, when you
actually read for comprehension instead of looking to pick fights, you
can actually have a calm, rational conversation.

You were the one who brought it up
because you don't have enough FFMs for a free ticket!

Sorry, but you're jumping to concusions again.
That's merely your assumption.

That's why I had already said:

You have to resort to upgrades only because you DON'T have
enough FFM for the free tickets, stooopid!

And repeating baseless assumptions and claims.

I don't care if I have as many miles as you or not. But I do know that
being the loudmouthed coward that you are, you're not willing to risk
betting US$10,000 of your own money that I don't have at least 100K
miles on an airline FFM program.

To which Bob's response was:

100K miles? Accumulated over 30 years? No wonder you're so sour
and ignorant about FF Programs.

In other words, Bob has declined to accept my offer.

I've previously expressed the opinion that I don't believe its wise to
"hoard" miles, which would generally suggest that regardless of my rate
of accumulation, it would appear that I'm philisophically predisposed
to use the miles that I earn instead of sitting on them.

But cowardly Bob can't ever accept any possible risk of losing a bet,
so he declined. Bob claims he's a gambler, but its all false bravado:
IMO, he would also be unwilling to bet US$20,000 that I haven't
accumulated 200,000+ miles...regardless of the fact that I consider him
to be a bad risk of welching on his bets.

-hh