Old June 9th, 2010, 11:03 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe,rec.sport.rugby.union
martin

Default Smoking ban has dramatically slashed number of heart attacks

On 09/06/10 11:50, My two cents wrote:
On 9 June, 05:47, Flotillagate wrote:
Smoking ban has dramatically slashed number of heart attacks

By JENNY HOPE
Last updated at 1:33 AM on 9th June 2010

The number of heart attacks has fallen dramatically since the smoking
ban came in, figures reveal.
At least 1,200 heart attacks were prevented in England in the year
after the ban's introduction, according to a report in the British
Medical Journal.
In the largest study of its kind, information on adult heart attack
patients from the five years before the ban came into force in July
2007, was compared with data from the subsequent 14 months.

Smoking has long term health effects. How can the effects be seen
already 14 months after a limited ban?

Quality of life is important - not just quantity. I don't smoke myself
and most of the people I know who do seem to feel guilty about their
habit but I once heard someone saying while smoking a cigarette that
it might kill him one day but if it does he can honestly say he
enjoyed every smoke and I thought good for you.

Needless to say smoking hasn't been banned in UK, Smoking has been
banned inside some public places - pubs restaurants etc. The resulting
fall in the number of smokers was only a few percent.