Old September 17th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Blake S

Default Will I make this connecting flight at Hong Kong International Airport?

"Whytoi" wrote in message
In article . net,
Blake S wrote:

I wouldn't try it if I were you, especially if you're buying 2 separate
tickets. Cathay uses gates all over this huge airport and there's no

way to
know far in advance which gate the Cathay flight will use. Also, you

still
have to transfer upstairs and sometimes wait in a line to do so.

I did something similar last year and Cathay was about an hour late. I
missed my UA connection and Cathay treated me like sh*t. First, they

made
me wait almost 6 hours for another CX flight, when they could've booked

me
on a number of other carriers. Then, they exchanged my business class

UA
ticket and gave me an economy seat on an 11 hour flight to YVR. They

told
me to get a refund from UA after I got back. Then, they didn't want to

let
me use their business class lounge during the layover, since, after all
Cathay had already downgraded me to economy class. I did get some

recourse
later on but not enough to get that bad taste of terrible Cathay service

out
of my system.

You can't really blame CX for that. CX has no alliance with UA and you
can't expect CX to bump a scheduled passenger just for you on what
sounded like a sold-out business class. There's nowhere in the contract
with the airline to say that they have to replace a business class seat
with another on another airline. Well, that's where a) your travel
insurance comes in, and b) you should have booked all your sectors on
the same airline so they can take more ownership of you. As a minimum,
stay with two airlines that has a good alliance.

Actually, that was the condensed version of the story. That trip started
from Taipei, and I confirmed with the Cathay respresentative at check-in
that I would make my connection. They cancelled my connection anyway.
Basically, they lied to me. They could've re-routed me from Taipei if they
knew I was going to miss my connection. Business class on the connecting
flight wasn't sold-out.

I still wouldn't try it. Last time I tried this kind of thing with EVA and
I missed my connection (though the arriving flight was delayed by weather).